Founded in the late 1960s, Wintergreen Resort has become the realized plan of an early group of investors that saw the great potential for the area. Nestled serenely in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Resort has slowly developed into a haven for those looking to escape the ills of city life. It’s development over time has been nothing short of phenomenal.
With eight ski slopes and many chair lifts already in operation, the Wintergreen Development Inc. was founded in 1975 and shortly afterwards in 1976 began the construction of the famed Devil’s Knob Golf Course. With the renowned Ellis and Dan Maples responsible for the design and build of the Course, it was destined for greatness.
In 1978, the Mountain Tennis Center followed with the Mountain Inn and Conference Center on its heels in 1980. The year 1984 saw the Wintergarden spa open its doors for the first time. A year later the Wildflower Park was given tribute by the former first lady Lady Bird Johnson to preserve the native plants and then came 1988. That’s the year all 18 holes of gorgeous Stoney Creek were unveiled. Designed by the incomparable Rees “Open Doctor” Jones, this Course was built to spoil all comers.
The World Knows This Is the Place To Be
With so much beauty and fun to be had here at Wintergreen Resort, it’s no wonder it has become and has seemingly always been one of the more coveted places in the world to be. As more and more discover the luxuries here, the awards and renowned events continue to flood in. Here are just a few at a glance:
- Rated four stars by Golf Digest – Best Places to Play
- Best Golf Resort (Platinum) – Blue Ridge Country Magazine (2013)
- Named runner-up for Best New Resort Courses – Golf Digest (1990)
- Awarded Best Golf Courses in the Mid Atlantic – Washington Post
- Ranked #9 – Best Course Near You by Golf Magazine (2008)
Key Events Held:
- Lewis Chitengwa Memorial Championship (2003-04)
- Virginia State Junior Amateur Championship (2006)
- Virginia Women Team Matches (2008)
- Virginia Mid-Amateur Championships (2008)
- Women’s Eastern Amateur Championship (2009)
- VSGA Amateur Championship Qualifier (2011)
If you haven’t yet experienced all that Wintergreen Resort has to offer, it is definitely time you treat yourself to its spoils. After all, you deserve it, right?
Until next time,